Monday, November 19, 2012

Review: Undeadly

Title - Undeadly
Author - Michele Vail
Series or Standalone - The Reaper Diaries #1
Genre - Young Adult Paranormal Zombies
Publication - Expected November 20th 2012
(Goodreads) & (Amazon)

Synopsis

The day I turned 16, my boyfriend-to-be died. I brought him back to life. Then things got a little weird...

Molly Bartolucci wants to blend in, date hottie Rick and keep her zombie-raising abilities on the down-low. Then the god Anubis chooses her to become a reaper—and she accidentally undoes the work of another reaper, Rath. Within days, she's shipped off to the Nekyia Academy, an elite boarding school that trains the best necromancers in the world. And her personal reaping tutor? Rath. 

Life at Nekyia has its plusses. Molly has her own personal ghoul, for one. Rick follows her there out of the blue, for another...except, there's something a little off about him. When students at the academy start to die and Rath disappears, Molly starts to wonder if anything is as it seems. Only one thing is certain—-Molly's got an undeadly knack for finding trouble....

Review 


I received Undeadly for review from Netgalley in return for a honest review. Molly is excited for her upcoming sweet sixteenth birthday when on the night before the party she has the fated Anubis dream.  At her birthday party she meets a reaper named Rath who thinks she's odd because only reapers can see other reapers and she's not dead yet. Rath is at the party to reap a soul but not just any soul that of Molly's would be boyfriend. When Molly see's Rich crash to the ground dead she freaks and uses her necro magic to pull part of his soul and put it back inside of him saving his life she thinks. However saving his soul takes a lot out of her and she passes out to awake in her room. 

Molly's father summons her downstairs where she meets for the first time her mother’s parents. When she was a child her mother became estranged from her parents when they didn't see eye to eye on her choices. She also learns that the man who she's thought all this time to be her father isn't her father at all. Plus her grandparents want her to go off to Nekyia a rich boarding school to train to be a proper Necro. Molly is unhappy about leaving her friends and Rick but she's very upset about being lied to by her dad so she accepts her grandparents offer. 

At Nekyia Molly has the use of the family ghoul, she's put up in one of the best dorm rooms, required to join the elite clubs, and even has special training classes with Rath. Life couldn't be better until Rick followers her to school, and bodies start showing up. Will Molly be able to figure out what's killing the students before it gets her, and will she be able to stop the set like Anubis implied. 

I really enjoyed reading Undeadly, to be fair I've had it on my kindle for months I just haven't been able to bring myself to it because of all the hype I've read about it. However I was surprised it was much better than I expected. I instantly connected with Molly she's just one of those characters you can't help not liking. Then we have Rick I didn't care for him at all and I was super happy when we were introduced to Rath I really liked his character and hope for more from him. Plus how cool would it be to have the magic to make zombies? I would so want to do that even though zombies scare me. I found the book very well written it's one of those a teen would love as well as a adult. I really liked the concept of the world that the characters live in, who wouldn't want to take classes on raising the dead, it's a unique concept that I found refreshingly new. Overall it's a great first in the series and I look forward to reading more about Molly in future books. 


5 out of 5 stars


No comments:

Post a Comment