Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Review: Unmasking Maya

Title - Unmasking Maya
Author - Libby Mercer
Genre - Romance
Publication December 12th 2012
Format - Ebook Review copy
(Goodreads) & (Amazon)

Synopsis

Defamed, Disgraced and Displaced...

Fresh from a career-killing scandal, New York fashion girl, Maya Kirkwood, arrives in San Francisco to reinvent herself as a fine artist. She's offered the opportunity to create an installation at the Silicon Valley headquarters of a hot new tech company. Fabulous, right?

Not so much.

She can't stand Derek Whitley - wunderkind software genius and CEO of the company. Hot as he may be on the outside, inside the man is a cold, unemotional, robotic type. Way too left-brained for her right-brained self.

As Maya and Derek get to know each other, however, their facades begin to crack. She catches her first glimpse of the man behind the superhuman tech prodigy, and he starts to see her as the woman she used to be. But is this a good thing? Once that last secret is revealed, will it bring them closer together or will it tear them apart?



Teaser

I didn't know if I felt more like jumping up and down or passing out. Leaning against the distressed concrete wall, I could feel my heart hammering wildly inside my chest as I surveyed the scene before me with a critical eye. After sending a silent plea up above for the night to go well, I ran through my mental checklist.

Review

I received Unmasking Maya in return for an honest review from the author Libby Mercer. Maya is running from a past trying to reinvent who she is after her ex ruined her reputation as a fashion designer. Now she’s using her talents to create art under a new name on the other coast in San Francisco. When she lands the chance to design an installation for a new tech company in Silicon Valley she jumps at the chance. The only problem with the job is Derek Whitley the CEO of the company he doesn't care for her work, and it drives her nut.

While working on the installation Maya makes friends with one of the few girls Lin who invites her to the company picnic. It’s at the picnic she starts to get to know more about Derek who he is outside the stuffy office guy who doesn't like her art. However like her he’s holding something back keeping a secret she’s dying to know. When they both are exposed with the truth will they be able to make it work or will it come crashing apart.

I was pleasantly surprised by Maya as a character. She’s had a rough life but even though it hasn't been easy she still continues to reinvent herself doing what she loves. Unmasking Maya is a fast paced romance that keeps you drawn in till the end. I picked it up this morning and didn't stop till I was at the last page.  I like that both Maya and Derek have secrets it keeps them on the same playing field. The book is well written flowing smoothly from start to finish.  I've always been a sucker for a sweet romance and Unmasking Maya is just that. I love the cover it’s simple but fit’s the story perfect. Since it’s a clean romance I could see teens as well as adults picking it up and enjoying it. 

4 out of 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment